Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Original quotes from Erick and Sigrid Sofia Larson

Today in my files I found some original histories that had been hand written by Eric and his wife Sigrid and sent to me by one of my cousins.  Here are the quotes:


Erick: "Following our baptism we suffered much persecution, which became so intense, we were obliged to move to Orebro, where through the blessings of the Lord the way was opened and I was appointed foreman of a cooper shop for which I was very thankful.  This position I held for ten years."


"I have always taken an active part in the church, I was superintendent of the Sunday School and local president of the branch in Sweden when no elders were present."


"Since coming to Utah I have labored mostly as a ward teacher and a presiding teacher in the wards I have lived in.  I have been blessed both spiritually and temporally."


"September 11, 1915   I departed for a mission to my native country, while there I endured a great deal of persecution for the cause of truth, having spent eleven days in jail, but was happy for I realized it was for Christ.  I have been successful in baptizing three souls."


"After the death of my beloved wife I desired to spend a little while in the mission field, preaching the gospel to my countryman and relatives and also gather more genealogy, therefore I departed April 24, 1925 for a second mission to my native country."


Sigrid Sofia: "My mother died when I was three years of age, my father married again when I was at the age of five years .  My childhood was very adventurous, but not in the happiest kind.  I moved with my father to Frosthult when I was fourteen years old and began to earn my own living, working on a large farm until I was married to Erick W. Larson April 24, 1881."


"I received the gospel and was baptized February 15, 1884 by Joseph Anderson who also, confirmed me a member of the church.  It was a cold moonlight night.  The ice was so thick that it took one hour to prick a hole for baptism."


"I had a very long argument with the priest and people because I belonged to the "hateful" Mormons.  At this time one of my babies was born, and I had to suffer much on account of not allowing it to be baptized after the priest's teachings, but still I was happy to be able to argue for my religion and knowing it was the true gospel."


"March 15, 1889 we moved with our four children to Westeria living there for two years and moved next to Orebro in 1891, this was the first place I found the Relief Society organized which I had longed so for.  In 1892 I was set aprt as secretary of the Relief Society by Elder Hengstrom, was released in the fall of 1896 as secretary and set apart as president of the society by the same elder, which position I held until 1900 when I emigrated to Utah."


"We now at this time had nine children, Carl the oldest boy was sixteen yeats of age and immigrated to Utah December 13, 1899, my husband leaving July 4, 1900.  I was then left in Sweden with eight children, the oldest eighteen years of age and the youngest six months.  I immigrated to Utah December 15, 1900 with five children, leaving three back in Sweden.  June 6, 1901 the remaining three children arrived in Utah."


"It was a hard struggle, but I was thankful that we were all here and together again."


Comment by granddaughter Mildred Higgins: "After six months of struggle and saving enough money was saved to send for Grandma and as many of the children as possible.  Grandma sold her fine dishes and silver--gifts from her wedding--and with the money from her husband and son in America she booked passage for herself and five of her children,  Erica, Ebba, and Ellen were left behind.  How lonely and frightened they must have been alone in that unfriendly city.


The three girls accompanied by the missionaries finally left Sweden for America.  It was a long journey by ship and rail.  I remember Aunt Ellen telling me about the arriving in New York with all the immigrants, going through customs at Ellis Island, and being so frightened, and not understanding the English language.


Carl met the girls at the train station in Ogden.  The Larsons had a horse and carriage and Ellen said Carl dashed them through the downtown streets and splashed them through the river and stopped in a cloud of dust in front of their new home on 17th Street.  The reunion must have been wonderful, a dream come true!"